Call for Expression of Interest in Thematic Convergence Space during ACSC/APF 2019 (September 10-12, 2019)
The ACSC/APF 2019 under the theme of “Advancing Peoples’ Movements for Justice, Peace, Equality, Sustainability and Democracy in Southeast Asia” is now calling for Expression of Interest to organise activities/workshops/events under the following seven thematic convergence space.
1) Human Rights, Democracy and Access to Justice. This covers issues around, but not limited to, human rights defenders, governance, authoritarian, LGBTQI, freedom of expression, urbanisation (e.g. smart city), etc.
2) Trade and Investment and Corporate Power. This covers issues around, but not limited to, extractive industries, free trade agreements, BRI (Belt and Road Initiative), Chinese investment, transformative economy, life saving drugs, Internally Displaced Persons, etc.
3) Peace and Security. This covers issues around, but not limited to, conflict, militarisation, peace building process, peace human security, maritime disputes, etc.
4) Migration. This covers issues around, but not limited to, trafficking, refugees, mixed migration, etc.
5) Decent work, Health and Social protection (Life with Dignity). This covers issues around, but not limited to, living wage, workers, social protection, health/health care, core labour standards, migrant workers, rights to unionisation, unpaid care work, sex workers, etc.
6) Ecological Sustainability. This covers issues around, but not limited to, environmental protection, land grabbing, climate change, dams/hydropower, energy/renewable energy, deforestation, plastic/waste, energy democracy, disaster response and mitigation, fossil fuels, green/circular economy, chemical pesticides, etc.
7) Innovation, new and emerging technology and digital rights. This covers issues around, but not limited to, new and emerging technologies, digital economy, etc.
Organisations are invited to submit their Expression of Interest, using the format provided below. Three or more organisations from different countries are encouraged to collaboratively submit the application. The application for Expression of Interest is open, from now to August 20, 2019.
There will be three-time slots of the convergence space. The seven convergence space will be organised concurrently in each time slot, for 1.30 hours. The organisers of each convergence space is requested to coordinate with the responsible Programme Committee members who will facilitate and coordinate different interests in using the same convergence space, to ensure space and necessary arrangements are provided accordingly.
Guideline and timeline for thematic convergence space are summarised below.
- Deadline for the submission of the completed form for Expression of Interest, to the Regional Programme Committee (email@example.com) and cc Thailand Programme Committee member (firstname.lastname@example.org), no later than August 20, 2019.
- Programme Committee through its focal point/coordinator of each convergence space will consolidate and coordinate with those who have signified interests to co-organise workshop/open space, during August 21-25, 2019. This is to ensure a concept note of each convergence space including descriptions of workshops/events.
- By August 28, 2019, all thematic convergence spaces must have already started discussing for workshops/events including title, topics, objectives, targets, format, speakers, participants, documenter, moderator and overall rapporteur.
- No later than September 1, 2019, the thematic convergence spaces must have already submitted the final concept note with speakers and programme.
- The responsible focal point/coordinator (of the Programme Committee) for each convergence space will request each speaker for a 1 page of presentation or key points, to be submitted no later than September 5, 2019.
- For each workshop/event (1.30 hours):
-Allow at least 45 minutes for discussions, sharing, or interventions from the participants.
-Assign someone to fill in the form for key points of the session to be submitted to the Drafting Committee and to be included in the ACSC/APF declaration (a form will be prepared by the Programme Committee in consultation with the Drafting committee or secretariat).
- Workshops/events should be able to tackle the following:
-Practices (good and/or bad; as well as alternative practices initiated by the peoples)
-Recommendations to governments and CSOs
-Strategies in realising peoples’ demands
Please kindly be informed that the fee for a workshop/event is USD100, to be paid to the Secretariat of the ACSC/APF 2019. The organisers will have to take care of travels and accommodation of their resource persons and participants to their convergence space, if applicable.
The Programme Committee requests a summary of keypoints of each convergence space. The format will be circulated to organisers later. Organisers are requested to submit the summary to the Drafting Committee by the end of activities in each convergence space.
Workshop/open space registration fee: USD100
To be paid to the Secretariat of the ACSC/APF 2019.
The organisers will have to take care of travels and accommodation of their resource persons and participants to their convergence space, if applicable.